Thursday, November 13, 2008

Social Networking

What does it say about me when I prefer Webkinz over Facebook?

Webkinz and Facebook are two websites that are known as social networking sites.
“Social networking refers to a broad class of web sites and services that allow you to connect with friends, family, and colleagues online, as well as meet people with similar interests or hobbies.” (Running, 2007) Both Webkinz and Facebook are popular social networking sites but with different age groups. Facebook is intended for people 14 years of age and older whereas Webkinz is intended for a much younger audience.

Facebook
My first introduction to Facebook two years ago was by a twenty year old friend. She excitedly went through the features the website contained while I nodded my head and gave the appearance of understanding. She showed me all the connections she had made and I was amazed to see how many “friends” she had acquired (well over 300). After declining an invitation to join, I didn’t really think much about this website until it seemed everyone was on Facebook. “Since their introduction, social network sites (SNSs) such as MySpace, Facebook, Cyworld, and Bebo have attracted millions of users, many of whom have integrated these sites into their daily practices.” (Boyd, 2007) With these social networking sites becoming more popular, I revisited Facebook through viewing pages that family members and friends had created. However, I didn’t understand the appeal and did not join until it was necessary for the course I am currently taking.

My Facebook page is very minimalistic. I still have not put a picture of myself on it and have only 4 friends listed. Email notification of a friend request or message is my signal to check Facebook, otherwise I don’t tend to look at it at all. Personally, I have found it to still be a website that I would not want to spend time on daily. My “real-world” social network is plentiful and I find that I don’t have enough time for these people, let alone those online. The friends I have on Facebook are ones that I would normally email and therefore stay in contact using that method. Is it my hesitation with the site and the fact that I have not used all the features of Facebook which negatively impacts on my awareness of the usefulness of this site?

How can Facebook be used in the classroom? A paper written by Michael Staton entitled “Drive Belonging and Engagement in the Classroom Using Facebook” (2008) suggests that a person open two Facebook accounts: a personal one and a professional one. The professional one can then be used to communicate with students and “create a sense of belonging.” (Staton, 2008) A teacher can create a class roster in which students are sent notifications, view upcoming classroom or school related events, and also share photos and videos that are relevant to the class. If these aren’t enough, other applications can be added. A list containing some of these applications and a description of each can be found at “FaceBook as an E-learning tool: How to support classroom teaching with FaceBook?”

One key teaching though with social networking sites is how to be responsible and ethical when using these sites. Too often we hear about the negative side of social networking sites with respect to cyberbullying. Students need to be made aware that this is not acceptable and to be taught to be respectful when online. Many students at my school are not old enough to have a Facebook or MySpace account. It is a perfect opportunity to teach them to critically think about their web presence before they have one. Students can be taught to be safer online and to positively portray themselves online.

Webkinz

My concept of social networking sites was Facebook and other similar sites. After reading “Scaffolding the New Social Literacies” by Stephen Abram, I was made aware that even younger children were being introduced to social networking through sites such as Webkinz and Club Penguin. Indeed, students coming in to my library at lunch were eager to log on with their friends to these sites.

After I was shown the Webkinz site by students and it was explained that all you needed was a code from a Webkinz stuffed animal, I purchased two for children in my family and we were “hooked”. I have been on the Webkinz site more times than I care to admit. The games are entertaining for all ages and educational for younger people. Since my focus originally was on the games in the arcade only, I was not aware of the social aspects such as playing games with others online, sending messages and gifts through “Kinzpost”, and entering rooms where you can chat with other Webkinz owners. Once I did though, I found that the messages that can be used to chat with others and the letters that can be sent are appropriate and are not able to be altered.

How can Webkinz be used in the classroom? Many students are already on this site and therefore, discussions about social networks can occur by relating to their experiences on these sites. Showing etiquette when playing and chatting with others online, as well as an awareness of computer safety can be taught. A great idea for using Webkinz in schools is in “Webkinz Club has kids clamoring for computers.” (Wixon, 2008) This article explains how one elementary school used the Webkinz craze to start a club in which students meet in the morning with their Webkinz and go online to the site. They are only allowed to invite people to be friends online if they are in the club and not strangers on the site. Responsibility through the mimicry of real world situations such as taking care of a pet and managing finances is demonstrated by students. By purchasing a class Webkinz, students who may not be able to have their own can still participate.

We are learning with our students how to communicate in a digital world. Social networking sites are a way to develop online connections.


References:
Abram, Stephen. (2008). Scaffolding the New Social Literacies. Multimedia and Internet @ Schools. http://www.sirsidynix.com/Resources/Pdfs/Company/Abram/MMIS_23.pdf

Boyd, D. M., & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1), article 11. http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html

Running, Jordan (2007) Understanding Basic Internet Jargon. http://www.tucows.com/article/1903

Staton, Michael (2008) Drive Belonging and Engagement in the Classroom
Using Facebook. http://www.edumorphology.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/fb_classroom1.pdf

Wixon, Colleen. (2008) Webkinz Club has Kids Clamoring for Computers. http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jan/01/30a-new-webkinz-generation-of-computer-club/

Wolf, Dr. Karsten D. (2007) FaceBook as an E-learning tool: How to support classroom teaching with FaceBook? http://www.didactalab.de/wp-main/?p=66

2 comments:

chris yak said...

Hi Sheila.
I know what you mean when you say you have a social life when you're away from your computer. Since we started this course, I have checked Facebook less and less - it does not have to be addictive for many of us.
Your point about having a professional account alongside a personal one is a fine idea and exactly what I would do if I interacted with students on this kind of social networking site.

Joanne said...

Hi Sheila,

Interesting discussion of webkinz and club penguin--I hadn't realized how popular these sites are with young children (my own kids are too young to be involved in those sites). But, you raise a good point that it is our responsibility to help kids, even really young ones, start to think about how to be responsible and safe online when they are using social networking sites. The better they are at negotiating these things at a young age, the better they will be at using the same skills on Facebook, Myspace and whatever else comes along!